Pages

Sunday, June 06, 2021

Great Horned Owl and Osprey


To our never ending amazement, we found a second great horned owl sitting in a tree next to the road! As you can see in subsequent photos, this one is a little squint-eyed on the left side and his feathers are a bit different.

I always feel bad for owls awake in the daytime. It seems like they must have insomnia or something. Must make for a pretty tired bird during the night shift when trying to find a meal.


the owl and the one you saw yesterday were both very tolerant of me walking around and pointing my camera at them. I'm quite sure that I could have gotten no better closeups of a bird in captivity than I got here on the roadside.


In the image below, I think I caught him blinking the right eye.


To add to our delight, we also found an osprey perched atop a utility pole. We have no idea why we are seeing a bird known to like fishing sitting in such a dry place, but there he is. Life in the outback is strange sometimes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.