Pages

Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Viewing the Cascades from Monroe


On the way back from Snoqualmie, we stopped along the road between Monroe and Snohomish to take in the view of the Cascades. There is a nice place along the old road between the two towns that looks across a low pasture land giving a good view of things in the distance.



As you can see, the snow persists. It has even snowed at the higher elevations in the last week. However, you can tell that we are warming up as the lower, nearer portions of the mountains are snow free.


These pictures are from mid-afternoon so the sun is more or less behind me. The darker clouds tell us that some of these have lots of water even though there is no chance of rain at the moment.


Looking more or less in the direction of Stevens Pass, we see the most rugged mountains.


Looking more to the north, the mountains are more like hills that are rounded from ages of erosion.


I'm guessing that most of our valued readers do not have snow covered mountains near their home. And those that do, either do not see snow in April or they see it all the year and are bloody tired of it. Sorry for rubbing your nose in it.

For the rest of you, enjoy the scenery and stay safe. We now have cloth masks to wear when out and about. Mine happens to be mostly black with a white design. I most nearly resemble a hoodlum when wearing it. Add my Tilly hat to the mix and I begin to come across as more than a little menacing. This lets people know that I am serious about staying safe from the little nasty bugs. If they assume that I'm serious about other things as well, that's OK with me. I can always lighten the mood with a suitably timed dad (and granddad, for you that worry about the details) joke. That seems to be my strong suit these days.

Being in a house with this many people for so long has not happened to me since I lived in a dorm 45 years ago, so I'm fairly out of practice. I hope your sequester is going swimmingly and that your ability to live in close quarters with those that you are used to seeing for time intervals ranging from a few hours a day to a few hours a year is better than mine.


As you ponder these snowy hills, try to remember the Mother Superior telling Maria to 'climb every mountain'. Don't take that too personally. She didn't mean you had to go climb all these hills. Remember, she was talking to Maria, not to you. Besides it was only a metaphor. But, if you aren't going to climb any of the hills, what is a meta for anyway?

Stay safe. Don't let the grand/dad joke wreck your immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.