Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Free Little Libraries


In Snohomish, and as near as I can tell all over the greater Seattle area, the free little library is a pretty common. So I decided that it would be a fun photo essay to get pictures of all of them for you. I think their prevalence tells us something about the people we live near.



Some are straight forward boxes with a bit of color to draw the eye. The one below is tilted a little...perhaps due to the tree pushing against it.


This one is closed. If you zoom in, you can see that the sign on the window says "Closed for a while. Stay safe. Wash your hands." Clearly the sign of the times.


This one has a small sign at the bottom of the door that lists the website, littlefreelibrary.org, where I found the location of many of these. One on the map is now gone; at least I could not find it.


And these last two were not on the map at all. They were simply near enough to our house that I knew where they were from my roaming the neighborhood. This next one is interesting. I has been repurposed to be a kind of library for food... a free pantry for donations and withdrawals.


And this is the one that started my interest in this photo tour. It is directly across the street from our house.


I don't really know if this is all of them, but I'm pretty sure this is most of them. For a small town (Snohomish population: 10,185), this seems like a lot to me. I hope your town has lots of them as well. We need community and diversion in this time of stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.