Pages

Friday, April 03, 2020

Neighborhood Plants


Since all the parks are closed, I've been trying to develop some facility with my macro photography. It is also something I can do on foot, close to home.



Today's equipment includes the new 100-200 mm f5.6 lens and 45mm extension tube I just bought for my Fuji GFX 50R. I have learned that while the magnification at 100 mm is greatest I need to be maybe 20-25 cm away. However, I can be quite far from the object at 200 mm, perhaps a meter away. This has turned out to be very useful.


These photos were made with fairly low shutter speeds in the 1/50 - 1/75 sec thanks to the lens having optical image stabilization included. This allows an aperture small enough to get some depth of field without noticeable motion blur.


My morning jog was cut short today by a bit more rain than I was willing to continue through. I enjoyed the excuse to run a shorter distance. And, pleasantly, this also resulted in artistic water droplets on the plants to add a bit of interest to the shots.


I realize that most of our my audience live in places much warmer and closer to full-on spring time than we are here, but we must make do with what we have on hand. Yet, there are some nice flowers in the neighborhood. I hope you enjoy them.

Most daffodils are yellow. This white with an inner part yellow is unusual in my experience. Because the flower is brighter than the background, a bit of computer adjustment yielded a very dark background that complements the rain-dampened flower.


I don't have a cluse what this bush is. I'll bet one of you can fill me in on that bit of natural history. What I can tell you is that the leave are hydrophobic as evidenced by the strong beading of the water.


The vinca (periwinkle) next door is in full bloom.


I thought I'd try a different way to photograph a tulip by having the flower out of focus and making the water dappled leaf the main focus. Not great stuff, but still kind of interesting.


This grape hyacinth (I think) is strutting its stuff in the aftermath of the rain.


Hope you found this as much fun as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.