Pages

Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Woodlawn Cemetery - 2



While I was there, there was a funeral in progress. Since there were so many Russians interred here, I suspect this was an Orthodox burial, but I really don't know. In any event, this portion of it was very different from any service I've ever been part of. Perhaps one of my dear readers will be able to set me straight on this.

Other gravestones grab the modern world clearly by the horns and go with it. It is pretty clear that this could included a bike rider and a quilter.

But, like any cemetery, there are very sad stories of children lost before their time.

Another marker with the northwest theme engraved. This time is appears that the L.B. and Bessie are represented by the deer standing separated by the lake. I'm sure that this not what is intended, but it is a sad connection to make nonetheless.

The cemetery does not only contain many graves with strong eastern European/Russian connections, there are also people from farther east.

I'm not at all sure if this is Arabic or something from the Indian subcontinent. Either way, this is not the sort of stone one sees in the neighborhood where I grew up.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.