Pages

Thursday, October 08, 2020

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

As my friends all know, I've been wearing a Tilley hat for nearly 20 years now. I've been wearing this particular one for about 4 years. These hats are guaranteed for for life, so when they wear out, as this one has, I can get it replaced. I left my hat by accident in a restaurant in Australia when we visited the Twelve Apostles National Marine Park. As a result, I went to a hat store in Melbourne and bought a new one. This was late '16 or early '17. This hat has been a constant companion since then. Today, I said goodbye.

After contacting Tilley and getting the OK to proceed, I wrote the RMA number on it, cut off the crown and sent them a photo so they will send me the replacement.


Such an end we should all be spared from. I'll be wearing a knit cap to keep my head warm and dry until the new one appears in the mail.

This hat has kept my head dry and protected me from the harsh Australian sun. It has been the shade my camera needed to prevent lens flare when shooting into the sun. It has been the way E would pick me out of the crowd in a busy store or sidewalk in a foreign land. 

I'm keeping a stiff upper lip. With your support, I'll get through these desperate times. Maybe I need to go buy a backup hat for just such a hatless time. I guess since this only happens every 4-5 years and lasts a couple weeks, I'll have to soldier on bareheaded. Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.