Pages

Friday, May 28, 2021

A Look about Baker City


Now that we are settled in Baker City, I thought I'd show you about town a little. About 3-4 blocks from where we are sitting is St. Francis de Sales Cathedral. While I usually try to get photos without people if I can, I decided to charge ahead and include this group of folks. In this small town, this is the largest gathering of people I saw all day.
This town was once a center for the mining, logging, and cattle industries that filled the land around it. As a result, it once had several large hotels. One of these was the Antlers.


One of the ways you can tell that the buildings here are old is by looking at the small or rear entrances where little or nothing has been done to update them while the rest of the place has been freshened or updated.


For example, this theater has its facade freshened and restored its grand appearance from the 50's or 60's. 


But in other places, things continue in the same old way they have for many years. This fellow is using a torch to disassemble a radiator for cleaning and repair. He was happy to tell me what he was doing and let me take a few photos. It was clear that he'd been doing this for quite a while.


Other places are in more modern businesses such as this vape shop. I was a bit confused that a vape shop would be selling tapestries but a quick search on the web revealed that there are indeed such things as vape tapestries. Learn something every day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.