Pages

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Lord Hill Park


Since summer is finally upon us and I can count on days of warm sunshine, I headed over to Lord Hill Park. This place sits on a hill bordering the Snohomish river between the towns of Snohomish and Monroe.



In the dry summer, we're missing all the drippy-drippy ambiance of a Pacific Northwest forest, so it a dry trail and forest floor. Nevertheless, you can tell from the mosses and ferns in the image below that there is an amply supply of water in general coming to this place.


I managed to get up close on the side of one os the mossy trees to get the next image. I don't really know if this technically some kind of moss, but that's what I'm going with. For scale, this frond is between 1 and 2 inches long.


The ferns catching some direct sunlight filtering between the leaves and limbs above seemed to be best in monochrome where you could focus on the shapes and textures.


These leaves were not in the direct sun, but the forest floor in the background was. This produces an interesting contrast between the highly textured leaves and the soft, blurry, brightly lit ground.


I could find no interesting tree stumps here such as I found in Japanese Gulch, but I did find an uprooted tree that was at least a little intriguing.

Somehow, it reminds me of the underground creatures from the movie Tremors.



There are ponds and wetlands in this park as well, but I did not have the gumption to make the hike to see them. As it was, the above is the better fruits of around a 1.5 mile walk. Forests are hard (for me) to photograph, especially when there is strong sunlight adding to the contrast mix. It is a bit like climbing to the top of the mountain where the view is really great, but the photos never capture what you saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.