Pages

Monday, August 03, 2020

...And Here's What the Beach Looks Like


When we arrived at Rosario Beach in late morning, we were treated to the arrival of a so-called marine layer. This layer of fog, trapped near the surface of the water came pouring in as we watched.



Below you can see that while the shoreline in this direction (looking out into the sound) is clear while the white fog is coming in in the distance.


The first image above was early in the arrival. Below is later, after the fog had a chance to fill the bay. You can see the pair of kayakers finding their way out of fog bank.


Looking along the beach in the inshore direction, we see the billowing fog has partially obscured the nearest point of land and completely hidden all that lies beyond. I thought that framing this bit of land with the nearby roots of a drift tree (made that up. It is driftwood that consists of pretty much a whole tree, including the roots you see here) would be nice.


Moving close to the water, I got this image. What color was left in the scene didn't really add anything so I converted to monochrome. Where I was there is little or no fog so you get the interesting visual of the very clear rocky beach at me feet and the foggy beach and land in the near distance.


The location of the beach is on one side of a peninsula of land that juts out into the bay. On the other side is a beach that I photographed on a previous visit.

I tried walking a bit of the way up the trail on this peninsula to see what I could see. From a place not far from the beach you saw above, I got this image of a tree that seems to orchestrate the dividing line between the fogged in part and the clear part.


I went no farther because the park was beginning to really fill with people and many of them were neither social distancing nor wearing masks. I went back to join the rest of the family were we could at least have a bit of distance from others by hovering near our picnic table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.