Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2022

A Walk Down to First Street

We are really out of practice at international travel. I've been trying to gather things together for our upcoming trip and I'm finding all sorts of gaps and holes in what we have on hand.

For example, just for grins, I checked our ID tags on the luggage we are taking and found that some of the pieces still have the address of the mail service we used when we were in Australia. That's been a while.

So I fixed that today. I also made the decision to play it safe for my trip to Nome and repack my camera equipment. My camera backpack is larger than the TSA standard size carry-on. I could probably take it just fine but there are two reasons I could run into trouble. First, what would I do if I couldn't? Second, I'm guessing that the plane from Anchorage to Nome is not a nice big jet but a smaller regional plane which will have smaller overhead compartments. So, even if I get on the plane OK at SeaTac, I could still run into trouble on the second leg of the trip.

Thus, I've moved all the medium format equipment to a padded insert in an officially sized carry-on and will be checking my pack. This means I have two checked bags but at least I know that everything will arrive without broken cameras or lenses.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.