Pages

Monday, January 25, 2021

A Few More Birds

Normally, I would not think that a robin was any more special than a gull which is not special at all. However, robins are strong sign of spring. Or else it stays warm enough here to fool them most of the year. I'm going to go with the theory that spring is 'just around the corner', as is often said. This fellow's presence along with the signs of breeding plumage on the great blue heron we saw earlier is all the evidence I need to declare January to be the beginning of spring in the Pacific Northwest. Don't tell me I'm wrong. I need to fantasy to get through the remaining months of winter.

Also here in the flat expanse of treeless campground are black bellied plovers. While the black belly is seen in breeding season and these bellies are clearly not black, I'm ignoring this piece of contrary evidence so I can perpetuate my well justified belief. I figure if the supporters of our outgoing president can do that to get what they want, so can I, right?

While not very colorful or intricately decorated, it is still a handsome bird.

There was also some sort of sanderling foraging in the grass as well. But he was not polite enough to lift his head for a photo. He and all his ilk were too busy with their head in the grass to stand politely for a minute or two to permit a respectable photo. You'd almost think that he doesn't care! I think he needs a new publicist.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.