Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Tundra Swans, Mostly Flying

In the last post, I pointed out that these birds are white except for a little black. This is not entirely true. there is sometimes (although not here) visible a small yellow patch next to the black on the beak and some slight rosey coloration on the top of the head (that you can see here). Just to avoid confusion.

These birds are elegant in flight and quite graceful.

The way they stretch out their wings and work to gain altitude, I was struck by the powerful stroke of their flight.

The gray ones are juveniles who haven't made the transition to white just yet.


Some of these in-flight images are not great. I'm quite out of practice shooting birds in flight and between my lake of expertise and trying out new camera settings, I got more shots that were acceptable, but not more that were really good. Stay tuned as I find more birds to practice upon.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.