Pages

Saturday, June 04, 2022

Used, Aged, Worn, and Rusted


Today's post title not only applies to the photos but also to how I often feel. I also find that as I walk the streets of town and see these "antique" items I less often feel they are old or out of place. They are just reminders of my childhood.
OK, I'll admit that this radiator cap on this old tractor does not really remind me of my childhood. But I do think the symmetry is interesting.


My maternal grandmother, during my lifetime, never had running water in her house but she did have a gas stove. So this rusty relic is not an item from my childhood even if it feels like it was. In fact my grandmother's brother plumbed the kitchen with a nice sink and running water and my grandmother did not care for it. I think she didn't like the taste of the water. I never saw it used for anything. So, she shut it off and went back to getting her water from the well enclosed on the back porch. I was proud when I was big enough to fetch a bucket of water by myself. The water was always cold and tasty on a hot summer day. 


No, this is not a photo of Prince Charles from behind. This is one of the bollards along the Centennial Trail with "ears" on the sides where a chains could be clipped to really block off the way if desired. But it does look a bit like a balding man with, as my dad used to say, "ears like a taxi with the doors open."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.