Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

St. Denys - II

As you well know by now, I am taken by these colorful markers. I find that even though I cannot read much of what it says, the color feels like a painting of the life that once dwelled in the body lying here. Sometimes I stare at one of these photos and conclude that I know the deceased in ways that reading the words carved there cannot express. Just my imagination, I suppose.

Interestingly, on the back side of the church stands a grave marker that is a sundial. Again, my imagination runs away. Could this be counting the days of eternity; perhaps marking the time together in death for a husband and wife; or maybe simply a marker to catch the attention of a visitor such as me. 

This gravestone, much like the one you saw yesterday, is very simple and similar to ones once used in Islam. Of course, the burial of a Muslim would not include a cross on the stone. Theirs have a line that runs the length of the body and is always facing east. But at least it puts in the mind of such a grave. Maybe a little.

This one is clearly a christian grave and someone with more than a little money.

Here is another of the great doors on this church. Perhaps just as Tolkien-esque as the last one.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.