Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

A Walk Around a Different Part of the Neighborhood


I tried a turn about about the neighborhood that took me on a few streets less traveled (by me) lately. I tried walking downtown, but found nothing there to interest me. I guess this business of photographing flowers is really capturing my attention.



I took the new geared tripod head so I could actually get the flower of interest in the image without a battle. As a result, I found several interesting planty bits to photograph. For example. This portion of Dusty Miller (also known as silver ragwort) I thought looked interesting with its combination of dark green and silver-white with just a touch of color leaking through from the background.


These plants are in pots on either side of the walkway from the sidewalk to the house down the street. In the dusty miller on the other side of the walk, there is a small yellow flower (that I do not know) growing in amongst the dusty miller. This makes for a fun juxtaposition of colors and textures. Kind of suggests to me a bit of spring/summer time finding its way into a wintertime forest.


This tree with small red leaves is another plant I do not know the name of, but it is arresting with its brilliant color. On a windless day, I was able to get a good image of these few leaves at the end of a lone branch.


This unknown flower is putting out new flowers that are all shielded by the topmost petal. And that petal is always purple. You will notice that there is enve purple in the stalk of the plant.


One of the things that all the photography advise repeats over and over is that for photograph such as landscape and plants, you get better results by slowing down. One of my motivations for getting the more cumbersome to use geared tripod head is it will force me to slow down. So much of what I've always done as we travel is take quick shots and move on. These quarantine expeditions I'm taking are really helping me to learn to let go and slow down. I hope you are enjoying seeing the photos as much as I enjoy getting out to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.