Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Union Slough Park


On a recent sunny day, I ventured over to the area between Everett and Marysville where the Snohomish River empties into the Puget Sound. The marshland that has it roots as far inland as the edge of Monroe and extends past Snohomish right on to the coast is, by the time it passes Snohomish, quilted with canals and side streams carrying part of the water. These sloughs, as they are called, feed a large, tidal saltwater marsh area.

Just before it enters the sound, between Hwy 529 and I-5, is the small Union Slough Park. While this is a place that should be ideal for birds, the day I went, it was vacant.



But, being a clear day, I could see Mt. Rainier. So I thought I'd try my hand a photo of the nearby drift wood with the mountain in the distance. Not a great composition, but it at least gives a feel for the area.


The thistle is beginning to blossom and this purple headed burr caught my eye. Mostly I was caught by the B-52 sized mosquitoes here.


I also snapped some of the thistle burrs without the flower head so you can see how menacing this little things are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.