Pages

Friday, January 04, 2019

Southwark Cathedral


Just next to the Borough Market is the Southwark Cathedral. Although I've been here several times, I always love me a visit to a good cathedral.



The characteristically pointed Gothic windows and the ribbed vault make for a delightful image.


In the south aisle, we again see the repeated rib and window pattern. I find the shape of the columns to be very interesting.


In the south transept, we find the pipe organ. In the past I have head it played and it is magical.


From the choir we see the crossing and the nave.


This is looking the other way through the sanctuary to the retrochoir.


Nearly everywhere there are people buried in the floor. Behind the retrochoir I found this marker with a skull and crossbones. I can't really make out the details of who is buried here, but I thought it interesting to see this design on a marker inside the church.


Also behind the retrochoir are several small niches with chapels for prayer. This one is in the north corner.


Just off the north side of the choir near the transept is the Harvard Chapel. Yes, this is the Harvard that founded the university in America. Notice on the stained glass window that there is both the blue of Oxford (where he went to school) and the red of Harvard.


Here is the window and the wall in the north transept.


And one of my favorites is always the ceiling in the nave. the symmetry and details on the ribbed vault I find fascinating. It is almost as if they really did try raising the ceiling to the heavens.


1 comment:

We enjoy hearing from our readers.