Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Testing Me with the Fuji 100-400mm


I decided that I'd venture out while E is in Puerto Rico and do some developmental work with the Fuji X-H1 and my new 100-400mm lens. I've not really had a chance to work with this combination and I've got a couple trips coming up where I plan to use them. It seemed like a good time to learn my way around the equipment and my process for using them.

This, of course, requires that I have something to photograph. I solved this problem by visiting the Woodland Park Zoo. The first critter I spied was a local rabbit out munching a brunch.



My first stop was to see the northwest/arboreal animals. This took me first to the Grey Wolf.


While I was more interested in developing a feel for using the camera and lens than accuracy in photographing animals, I did not take a notepad for writing down all that I shot. This means that I only will occasionally be able to really tell you who you are seeing.

One case where I can tell you is Steller's Sea Eagle. This bird occupies a similar niche in Russia that the Bald Eagle does in the Northwest. But this fellow is really big with a wing span of nearly 9 feet. National Geographic says that they've been known to gorge themselves on salmon until they are too full to fly. I can personally attest to the fact that they make one loud squawking noise.


They are a fierce bird and, at this size, not one I'd choose to tangle with in the wild.


Something caught this guy's attention and he literally stuck his neck out to see what was going on.


There were also some mountain goats (not sure what kind).


At this point in the expedition, I was finding a focus success rate similar to the Nikon/200-500mm combination. But this was so much more pleasant. I bought a new cross-body strap to carry the camera/lens with and it is much more comfortable than the old one. This, combined with the total lighter weight, made this a real pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.