Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Rio Grande From White Rock

 
On a day with a light snow falling at higher elevations, we decided to drive to Los Alamos for a look about. My goodness how it has changed! Since I've been there last it has gone through several major fires and the lab is re-oriented towards projects that are mostly secret. We could only find the old boy's school/museum as a point of reference. The facility I worked at (LAMPF) is now doing neutron scattering. None of the lab can we get into.

But the drive up the mesa is pretty and White Rock, just down the side of the mesa a bit is still perched above the Rio Grande River. So we decided to have a look.

Looking east toward the Sangre de Cristo Mountains we see that there is still some snow falling, especially on the distant mountains.

To the northeast, we see the black mesa. I really wanted to closer for a photo but that turned out to not be possible. This requires driving out on the Santa Clara reservation and this requires permission. No permission is possible during the covid to limit everyone's exposure. I guess I'll have to go back one day after the covid is gone.

The river flows along as it always has with lots of quite water and sections of rapids.

Although New Mexico is having a pretty severe drought, there are signs that water is making to some places. The area around the river is noticeably green.

Off to the southeast, the snow hazes the sky while the ground stays dry. It was pretty cold out on the lookout so I didn't stay too long trying to savor the view. I snapped my pics and hopped back in the car.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.