Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Picnic Point Park


A brief trip to Picnic Point Park to check out the beach and the Olympic mountains was productive. The most interesting part of the beach is the remnants of the pylons that once held a pier. They make a nice leading line to the mountains across the sound.



There is a small stream that reaches the ocean here and it flows across the beach. I was able to stand where it makes a sharp curve and it looks a bit like I'm standing in the stream to make the photo, but of course, I'm not. I've added a neutral density filter to slow down the shutter and add some blur to the water. I'm not sure it really works, but it is more interesting than the version I took without it.


Looking at the posts from another angle, we see Whidbey Island sitting not far away.


While this is not the greatest photo, I do find it mildly interesting for the blurred water and the birds that held still for the portrait. It give the image a bit of mystic for having some moving/movable things actually sitting still.


The low island you see between the mountains and the sea is not actually an island. It is an arm of the mainland where Kingston lies. The ferry runs from Edmonds to Kingston and then you can drive south, cross a bridge, and get to Bainbridge Island. Once you've made to Kingston, you've got land all the way to the distant mountains.


A portion of the beach has eroded and created a pool of water. This pool also contains some old pylons. With the ND filter slowing things down, I get an interesting view of the local shore line. Smoothing out the water surface allows a view of the bottom of the pool that is only slightly blurred.



This is another of what will be an ongoing series of short trips to try to find my "vision" for landscape photos (assuming I actually have one of those) and work through the technical details of equipment and hone my skills. The images are not great (yet), but I feel I'm making slow progress in the right direction. And I'm having fun and learning. Really, isn't that what this is all about? Stay with me through the not-yet-great parts and perhaps we'll both enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.