Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2020

OMG! We Found a Heron


We took a few minutes to visit Possession Point State Park for a look about. I was not expected to see much since we arrived at the middle of the day under a cloudless sky. Much to my surprise was a heron basking in the sunshine.

He seemed to be hot. He was standing still and his lower jaw was flapping (loose skin behind the lower bill was "vibrating" in the breeze) with his mount open.


I tried creeping closer and closer as I took photos to see how close I could get. I wasn't expecting to find this guy so I had the GFX in my hand with the 100-200mm lens attached. I was hunting scenery, not birds. But with some slow walking and heavy cropping, I got a few images. Then, I scared him and he took off. Much to my utter amazement, I got a couple respectable images with this slow camera.


Considering how I usually do with birds in flight (BIF as we photographers refer to these sorts of photos), these are quite good. I think the one below is kinda fun with the bird so close to the ground that you can see him and his shadow both. And both shots are in focus! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.