Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Pécs Cathedral


The Pécs Cathedral is closed for renovations and the outside is all I can see, but it is an impressive outside.



The building is located at the edge of the old city so around back, is a section of the city wall. I haven't had much luck so far in finding a date for when the wall was built, but it could easily be Roman from the 4th century.


The cathedral nearby was built in the 11th century although it has clearly been renovated multiple times since then.


This entrance, not the one I would use to get in if I were allowed in now, is closed by an ornate gate


And above it is a frieze with a collection of holy people to see you in.


And inside the entryway is this lage door.


When I turn around, I can see another church (naturally). This one is also under major renovation and I could not get in it either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.