Pages

Friday, December 20, 2019

A Visit to Pécs


One of our last outings while in Budapest was to make a short trip south to the City of Pécs. In the center of town is Széchenyi Ter where we find the Mosque of Pasha Qasim also know as Downtown Candlemas Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. When the Turks invaded in 1543, Pasha Qasim the Victorious built a mosque. In 1766, when they were driven out, the Jesuits destroyed the minaret and converted the mosque back to christian usage. 



The square is filled with the kiosks for the Christmas market. I'd planned to show you this as well, but my image processing software is arguing with me and, alas, I cannot.


Most places with a river, which Pécs does not have, have the lovers ritual of putting a lock in a public place and tossing the key in the river to make the symbolic lock of love permanent. Well young people in Pécs do this as well, but I really don't know what they do with the keys.


Near the Cathedral, is this small building and I can find nothing on it. I have no name or purpose for this odd little fellow.


Here is the Cathedral. Unfortunately, I cannot show you the inside since it is closed for renovation.


It has clearly be refurbished recently on the outside since all is clean and bright.


It sits on a large square surrounded by the Bishop's palace and his treasury.


Back at the market square, we find a fellow with a barrow filled with mistletoe for holiday decorations. Not something you see in the US for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.