Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Organ Concert at St. Stephen's Basilica


We went to one of the Monday evening organ concerts at St. Stephen's Basilica. This gave me a chance to bring you a few more photos and a video of a snippet of the concert.



This is the old church I've ever been in that has a statue inside the ciborium that isn't Jesus. While it is true that King Istvan brought christianity to the Hungarians and was sainted for that, it still feels odd to see a statue of a king in that holy place.


While we waited for the music to start, I found I could see the pulpit from an angle not permitted during the normal visitor hours.


Looking back toward the organ loft, we see the mighty instrument and the organist sitting at the console.


While it is indeed a large organ, when put in the perspective of the whole building, it doesn't seem so large anymore.


I would be remiss if I did not give you a sample of our concert. Here is a very badly made video ot the Toccata part of the Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Just close your eyes and listen. The organist plays it faster than I'm used to hearing it, but it is nevertheless, quite good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.