Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Seven Magic Mountains


South of Vegas on I-5 we find a location called Seven Magic Mountains. I'm pretty sure that it is referring to the mountains located around us, not the party colored stacks of rocks we found there. This is some sort of art dedicated to the place, but I failed to understand the connection. Perhaps the 40 mph gusts of cold wind interfered with my brain function.



But away from the art, we find nature in all its glory. In the distance, as the foot of the mountains, we can see dust devils whipped up by the blustery day. The "layering" of the clouds is also, no doubt, a result of the winds. If this is what Las Vegas looked like before the town was built, I wonder what made people stop? Pretty? Yes indeed. Inviting? Nope.


While we could tolerate the windy conditions, I stood my ground and made some images that capture the emptiness and solitude of the place pretty well.


It is hard to imagine arriving in such a place with only horse power and covered wagon.


Even cactus don't grow here.


The only significant life found here is this yucca plant that I think I is a Joshua Tree of some sort.


It took some time for us to get the grit out of our mouths from this excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.