Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Grand Canyon West - III


Unlike the national park where we were looking down on the river and its works, here we are at eye level with the vast array of mesas and canyons.
As I noted before, I must have a little monochrome to remind me of my early images of this place.


While most of the rock is a tan color, you can find areas of contrasting colors. For example, on the far rock wall are some streaks of light yellow. In the shade to the right is a splash of reddish-purple. The vegetation on the nearer hill gives it a green tint. A quick read of the landscape returns a simple beige, but a more careful inspection reveals more color to be found.


There are the remains for mining equipment still sitting on the hill where I am standing. However, nothing I could see made for interesting photos, hence, you aren't seeing that. But there are colors and textures everywhere that are worth seeing.

Can I recommend this place as a stop on your visit to the Grand Canyon? It is certainly not as spectacular as the National Park. But there is an immediacy here that the National Park does not have. I would say if you are headed west from Williams (or heading east toward Williams), it is worth a stop to see the Joshua trees and the this portion of the canyon. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.