Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Coffs Harbor


Coffs Harbor most nearly resembles a place along the coast in the US from about 1955 on steroids. Same kind of stuff, just more of it.

The beach is wide and populated with only a few people. There are rocks framing the beach on each end. In between are walkers and surfers enjoying the sun and waves.


The water here is cooler than near Noosa Heads, as you might expect. But the water is clear, the waves are consistently strong, and it is a place to relax and enjoy.


Ther are a few people out there if you look closely.


On the shore, we find sponges...


and polished stones.


These stones each sit in a small depression created by the receding water as it washes away the sand from around the edges.



Sometimes, the water and stones create an abstract art. There is a serenity in the composition that draws you in. Just like being at the beach in general has a pull on some (including me), these small vignettes can draw you into this tiny Zen garden of flowing lines and organic relations.


Off to the left end of the beach is the headland that frames the northern end. At the foot of the hill are some rocks scattered out into the water. After looking and taking pictures a bit, it seemed to me that a long exposure would make great image. However, I didn't have a tripod. What to do. The answer is to take a lot of pictures. I took 15 in quick succession. Once I had a chance, I gathered them all together and with some software that I'm only now beginning to learn (Affinity Photo), I stacked them all up and generated an image that is the median of all the images at every point. This way, I get an image that is nearly what I imagined.


The water gets a silky appearance and the place where the waves break is a hazy white. Slightly surreal and restful.


After a long and relaxing walk on the beach, we headed back to the local bar for a couple bottles of good cider and a plate of chips. It just doesn't get any better than this.
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou 
Beside me singing in the Wilderness-- 
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.