Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Snakes on a plain

The inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus), also commonly known as the western taipan, the small-scaled snake, or the fierce snake (Wikipedia)
Of the twelve most venomous snakes listed on wikipedia, only 2 are not found in Australia. However,  according to Australian Geographic, the rate at which humans are bitten is low.

The somewhat comforting section of the AG article is
But bites are actually quite rare in Australia and, since the development of anti-venom, fatalities have been low - between four to six deaths a year. 

"This is in contrast to India, for example, where bites may reach one million a year, with over 50,000 deaths," says Associate Professor Bryan Fry, a herpetologist and venom expert at the University of Queensland. "Snake bites are very, very rare [in Australia] and often the fault of the person being bitten. Most bites occur when people are trying to kill a snake or show off."
The key is not be one the 4-6 while we are there.

My problem with snakes, beside the ick-factor, is I can never tell which one I'm seeing. It is tree snake, a deadly snake...what am I looking at? I suspect it is hard to tell since I am not getting a close-up view of the snake, if you know what what I mean. Hard to tell from 10 yards way what that think the leaves really is. Ever since we saw the fer-de-lance along the Amazon river in Peru...rather when the snake I didn't see was pointed out to me...I've been convinced that I have no idea what I'm doing with such creatures and had best stay away.

Which brings me to the problem some people have in Australia. The snakes find you. Like all snakes every where, the snakes inAustralia occasionally find there way inside you home. And as is the case in other places, this would be no big deal except you could die!

Collected for your viewing pleasure (in the same way you take pleasure from watching Snakes on a Plane), are a couple YouTube videos people have posted of dealing with snakes in their home.



This is not on my short list of "must do" things while in Australia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.