Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Anbangbang Rock Art


Our last stop on the tour of Kakadu National PArk was at Anbangbang to see the rock Art. Most of it is very old but some of it has been touched up in the last 20-30 years to restore it to a viewable, useable state.



The first one we come to is a complicated one that I cannot begin to explain. In fact, I'm hard pressed to explain any of them really.


I do remember that this one is the indigenous version of the boogie man. It is who was described in stories around the fire at night to scare the children into staying near the fire and safe from the animals at night.


This one is intricate and beautiful, but I've lost the story line.


These are very old hand shadows.


Compare the simple, crude hand shadows in the last image with the intricate and subtle fish in this one.


Intermediate in sophistication are these two kangaroos.



And this one I just can't quite follow in the complexity of the rock surface.


This last one looked to me like album art from the 60's. It is just the natural colors of the stone, no indigenous art at all. I just liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.