Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2017

New Norcia Cemtery


As is often the case, the high point of our visit to New Norcia is the cemetery.



There were rows of markers for the brothers in silver painted metal. But there were also many stones for those who have lived near or in the community.


There were even children interred here.


I found it interesting that many of the stones explicitly tell us that the resident underneath has enjoyed the rites of the church. I would not have thought this important in a cemetery in a town founded by monks.


While there is no lawn, just dirt and weeds, there is some evidence that the graves are maintained. For example, the wrought iron fences were usually recently painted.


The one below is the one that really caught my attention. I've never seen a marker be quite so...militant is the only word I can think of...about getting ready for death. 'Fortefied' (spelling from the stone) is not a word I would associate with last rites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from our readers.